Skip to main content

The Protagonist

From the Westminster Shorter Cathechism:

Q. 1. What is the chief end of man?

A. Man's chief end is to glorify God, [a] and to enjoy him for ever. [b]

[a]. Ps. 86:9; Isa. 60:21; Rom. 11:36; I Cor. 6:20; 10:31; Rev. 4:11
[b]. Ps. 16:5-11; 144:15; Isa. 12:2; Luke 2:10; Phil. 4:4; Rev. 21:3-4

---

Your life is a story.

Who is the protagonist of this story?

Is it you? You come into this world, out of your mother's womb. You work hard in school. You live a morally upright life. Get a good job. Get a good spouse. Have kids. Bring them up the right way. Save for their college. Retire. Pass on.

Or do you let God be the protagonist?

When I die at my funeral, I just want people to know that I came into this world with nothing. I deserved nothing. I took away nothing. Everything was given by Him. The glory of my life belongs to Him and Him alone.

Full Wesminster Shorter Cathechism available here:
http://www.creeds.net/Westminster/shorter_catechism.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Inclusio of the Book of Matthew

From wikipedia: "In literature, inclusio is a literary device based on a concentric principle, also known as bracketing or an envelope structure, which consists of creating a frame by placing similar material at the beginning and end of a section, although whether this material should consist of a word or a phrase, or whether greater amounts of text also qualify, and of what length the frames section should be, are matters of some debate. Inclusio is found in various sources, both antique and new." The Inclusio of the Book of Matthew is that it starts and ends with "Immanuel". At the start, after the genealogies we are told that Jesus fulfills the prophecy of Isaiah (Matt 1:22-23). "All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had spoken by the prophet: “Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son,     and they shall call his name Immanuel” It then ends with "Immanuel" being fulfilled in the act of discipling. "G...

My other office

Speak O Lord.

The Holy Spirit brings to remembrance all that Jesus said

 “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.” (Jn. 14:26) John’s gospel is in fact a demonstration of the Holy Spirit working in him as he writes this gospel: